Posted 20 December 2017
Spirits were high -- and flowing -- after the Democrats won the Alabama Senatorial race on Tuesday, just before the Calvert County Democrats Holiday Party on Dec. 14 at Adam's Ribs.
Maryland State Senator Mike Miller, the longest-serving Senate President in Maryland history, greeted a crowd of about 50 people at his fourth event for the evening: “This is where we’re gonna make history -- right here in Calvert County.”
Miller said he and U.S. Rep. Steny Hoyer are dedicated to giving Calvert County the resources it needs to turn the county blue. “It can’t happen without your help. Bring 10 of your friends, 10 of your boyfriends, 10 of your girlfriends, and bring them to the polls.”
Local candidates introduced themselves and gave brief remarks:
- Holly Budd, running for commissioner district 3, said she’s looking forward to more transparency with the 2040 zoning plan.
- Julia Nichols, running for state delegate district 29C, reminded the crowd of her upcoming fundraiser as a way to show support.
- Tricia Powell, candidate for commissioner district 1, asked the crowd to support candidates with door knocking and meet and greets
- Jason Fowler, running for state delegate district 27C, emphasized that the way to win campaigns is through calls, knocking on doors, and giving voters rides to the polls. “We have great candidates who will do a great job.”
- The Honorable Margaret Phipps, register of wills, wrapped up the short introductions with a reminder to all of what democratic candidates should stand for: “When you are elected, you are elected to serve the people … Let us not forget that.”
Other candidates, unable to make it to the event, include Matt Bennett for commissioner at large, and Kathy Smith for clerk of the Circuit Court. Be sure to meet them at some of our upcoming meetings and watch our candidate’s page for more information.
The winner of the 50/50 raffle was Karla Piereck, who donated the $66 winnings back to the central committee. Hagner Mister’s sweet potatoes and a local artist’s bottle cap artwork were also raffled.
Check out our Photo Gallery of the event!
Photos courtesy of BobbyBarronPhotography.com